Walking the Walk … AGAIN!
I shared this quote when I published my last 55/555 list back in 2016. I thought it was appropriate to share again...
“If I must start somewhere, right here and now is the best place imaginable.”
― Richelle E. Goodrich
_ _ _
I've been doing a lot more speaking engagements recently.
Every time that I stand in front of a group, I do it with a grateful heart. I tell the audience, "Of all the things that I do ... all of my irons in the fire ... this is my favorite."
I love to generate hope, inspire action and remind the audience to make the important things important.
"Life is short. It's precious. We need to start acting accordingly," I reiterate to them.
Before I drive home my main point and challenge the audience to make small tweaks in their life, I share my story. I talk about having 11 jobs in 11 years after graduating from college. I discuss when divine intervention brought a radio station to Glen Rose, Texas, and how I was blessed to be a part of that adventure. I also share about my life list - how I was introduced to that phenomena and how that evolved into a gigantic thank you note to God.
What I've recently started to realize ... the life list discussion seems to resonate with the audience more than anything else. I think they understand the magnitude of "make the important things important," but they're frantically brainstorming things for their life list while I emphasize my point.
Why am I bringing this up now?
Personally, I need to get back to walking the walk. I need to start living on purpose. I need to put my goals, dreams and aspirations back in the spotlight. My last life list – 55 things that I wanted to accomplish in 555 days – expired in 2018. That's embarrassing!
For the last three years, I've been running in quicksand – going nowhere fast. I've done some pretty awesome things, but there was a level of intentionality missing.
So ... with all of that said ... I am thrilled to unveil my new 55/555 life list. This is a detailed list of 55 things that I want to accomplish in the next 555 days. Let's ride!
NOTE: If you read my blog post from December of 2016, there is a very similar narrative. That post had a similar message and tone. I'm making a promise to myself right here, right now ...
NO MORE LIP SERVICE! No more just talking the talk. It's time for me to start living on purpose again.
Life List V: 55 Things in 555 Days
Over the next 555 days, I WILL complete the following 55 items. It started on October 13, 2021, and will expire April 22, 2023.
** items that I STILL haven't accomplished from previous life lists. #fail
+ tasks that have done before, but I want to experience again
There is something inspiring about making or building something with your hands/mind/talents.
1. Finish my second book, Stop Eating Sh*t Sandwiches Reminder: My debut book – The Tacos and Chocolate Diet – was released in Sept. 2021
2. Create a supplemental workbook/cookbook around Tacos and Chocolate
3. Sell one painting
4. Relaunch Defining Audacity Podcast
5. Make a two-year commitment to doing a weekly podcast
6. Make the USA Today Best-Selling Book List
TRYING TO LOOK GOOD NAKED
This category has always spoken for itself – it revolves around getting my butt in shape.
7. Run two 1/2 marathons (1/2) +
• November 20, 2021: Pumpkin Spice Half Marathon in FW (1:55:37)
8. Complete adventure race +
9. Take a martial arts class**
This has been on my Life List forever!!!! #tragic
10. Do a 10-minute plank +
11. Take a hot yoga class
DEFINING AN ADVENTURE (includes travel)
12. Go on extended family trip (with my sisters, parents, nieces, nephews, etc.) +
Galveston Island: June 29 - July 3, 2022
13. Summit a Fourteener +
14. Take a solo trip (Destination TBD) +
15. Go to Yosemite National Park
16. Go on a ski trip +
17. Go whitewater rafting +
18. Go on "Sibling Trip" to NOLA + We've done this before ... me, my sisters and all of our spouses left the kiddos with the grandparents and we tried to burn down New Orleans.
19. Alone Adventure: 48 hours alone in the wilderness
Inspired by the TV show Alone
These things are associated with my brand, which is designed to inspire people to make the important things important and start living on purpose.
20. A Destination Retreat in Cabo San Lucas
21. Speak outside of Texas +
22. Speak to a group of 1,000 people
23. Speak to a total of 20,000 people
Running total: 15,000
24. Do a TED Talk
TEDx TAMU on March 6, 2022.
WAY OUTSIDE MY COMFORT ZONE
Things that absolutely scare the hell out of me.
25. Get another tattoo +
I got my first one on June 21, 2017 - in conjunction with the Triangle Kindness Project.
26. Do a stand-up comedy routine
• October 13, 2021 at Twilite Lounge in FW
SIMPLY LIVING A few simple pleasures that I want to experience over the next 555 days
27. Purchase a piece of art from Allison Castillo
28. Fly first class
29. Read 18 books (9/18)
• It's All in Your Head by Russ
• The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
• I Can't Make This Up by Kevin Hart
• Living with a Seal by Jesse Itzler
• 90 Percent Mental by Bob Tewksbury
• Living with the Monks by Jesse Itzler
• Getting to Neutral by Trevor Moawad
• The Wim Hof Method by Wim Hof
MUSIC TO MY EARS
Things associated with my love of music in some shape form or fashion.
30. Go to Steamboat Music Fest
31. Go to Red River Songwriter Festival +
32. Attend a concert at Red Rocks
May 14, 2022: Turnpike Troubadours
33. See Jamestown Revival in concert
34. Host The Road Less Traveled at The Kessler Theater
ALL KIDDING ASIDE
Tasks I want to accomplish with my kids. Crash will be 13 years old when this list expires – Ily will be almost 10. 35. Take Crash to the College World Series in Omaha
36. Take Crash to a Dallas Cowboys game
• November 17, 2021: Cowboys vs. Falcons
37. Take Crash to five college baseball games – five different schools (2/5)
• March 12, 2022: Dallas Baptist vs. Southern Miss
• May 8, 2022: TCU vs. Oklahoma
38. Take Ily camping
39. Take Spring Break trip with Ily
This was part of a second-grade class project. The students pick a town in Texas and share facts about it. We went to Brenham, Texas.
40. Participate in Watch D.O.G.S. program at Ily's school • January 28, 2022: Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students)
41. Take Ily to Father/Daughter Dance +
• February 5, 2022
HAVING A BALL
These are sports-related things I want to do or experience in the next 555 days
42. Throw out the first pitch at a baseball game
Note: This does NOT have to be a Major League Baseball game.
43. Attend a Midwestern State football game (with N. Eatman)**
This has been on my Life List forever!!!! #tragic
'NEVER STOP GIVING BACK'
44. Help 10 people mark something off of their life list (0/10)
45. Invest in a start-up company
46. Find a cause
47. Actively participate in Random Act of Kindness Week+
The first time that marked this off....I said a short prayer: “Heavenly Father…I don’t mean to be an idiot, but I need you to open my heart and educate me about kindness. Show me how you want to use me this week.” Mission. Accomplished. (blog post)
46. Donate $100 a month to small fund-raising efforts (little league sponsorships, school fund-raisers, Kickstarter campaigns, etc.)
Running total: $100
CATEGORY ALL ITS OWN
This is a catch-all category for some really cool things that I want to experience over the next 555 days.
48. Meet Dolly Parton
49. Buy a "new" truck
50. Take an improv comedy class
July 23, 2022: 4-Day Weekend in Fort Worth, Texas
51. Finish the unfinished bonus room above our kitchen
52. Eat at original Tupelo Honey in Asheville, NC
53. Stay at Hotel Turkey
54. Be a guest on a national morning show
55. Watch Yellowstone